Monday, November 2, 2009

Muscat Musings

" Hi .. Vivek .. How are you.. " .

This is one statement i hear atleast 5 times a day. Omani's are extra friendly. They greet you every session without fail...

I am working here with a bunch of omani's and few jordanians. Atleast i m getting a tad bit accustomed to multi cultural practises these days...and I donno whether i should be glad or not for this.

I cant wish every guy good morning...good afternoon ...and a goodbye every day ... Every time u meet phew..! This is a complete contradiction to the practises that take place in India. In My office back home no one gives a shit...and there is this flair of flamboyance in our colleagues back there... that gives us the sense of closeness... Yeh shaane ye dekh server down hey..!! abey saaleh ye code kaam karta kyu nehe... sounds much better than .. "Ah ..Hello theeere seeeeems too beee a litttttle probleeemmmm withhh ur Kode.. can u see that." ....

Yeah I feel like i m talking to a kid when i m speaking with few people here. U have to talk real slow. U ll feel much better when u see some one who has problem with the firangi language more than u have. :) . well I do.!!

My work is to deal with two jordanians every day. Nice guys they are.. wont trouble me with too much work. Here is my first conversation with one of the Jordanian.

" Hi.. what is your name .."

I am Vivek..i m from infosys.....
" Nice name...vivek... *Big Smile*
I was Silent for some time but courtesy kicked in....so I asked "what is ur name ..." . I was prepared to say "Nice name" right after he says his name no matter how it sounds. I just want to sound courteous ... I donno why whenever we go to some foreign place, we get extra courteous to the localites.. until they kick our butt some day .

The Jordanian responded... Zihaad. I fell silent.

PS: He is a very nice guy...zihaad. I was dumb stuck after the incident , i just got back to work.

2 comments:

  1. Courteous you are!!!
    anyways, wher are the snaps tht u've been bragging abt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait dude..They ll come...soon..!

    ReplyDelete